Essex County Jail, situated in Newark, New Jersey, stands as one of the state’s most expansive county detention centers. Managed by the Essex County Department of Corrections, the facility can accommodate over 2,000 inmates, including pre-trial detainees and those serving sentences. The jail’s structure consists of various housing units, such as general population, maximum security, and special needs units. Inmates have access to educational, medical, and religious services.
Essex County Jail Inmate Search: Online and Offline Methods
- Online Inmate Search: The jail offers an online tool to locate inmates. Visit the Essex County Department of Corrections website, click on “Inmate Search,” enter the last name or booking number, and click “Search.”
- In-Person Inmate Search: Visit the Inmate Records Unit at 50 South Clinton Street, East Orange, NJ 07018, Monday to Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Inmate Search by Phone: Call the Inmate Records Unit at (973) 274-7500 during business hours.
Jail Roster and Incarceration Records
The jail roster displays information like booking number, name, date of birth, release date, and charges. Incarceration records and mugshots are available, but restrictions may apply in states like New Jersey.
Inmate Communication Services
- Inmate Calls: Inmates can make calls through Securus Technologies. Rates vary.
- Inmate Mails: Send letters or cards to Essex County Department of Corrections Inmate Name and Booking Number P.O. Box 389 Newark, NJ 07102.
- Sending Money: Use JPay or mail a money order.
Schedule a visitation appointment by calling (973) 274-7500. Follow the rules like arriving 30 minutes early, dressing appropriately, and not bringing any items into the facility.
Inmates can purchase personal care items and snacks through the commissary. Restrictions apply.
Location and Contact Details
Address: 354 Doremus Ave, Newark, NJ 07105, United States Phone: (973) 274-7500