Find Maritime Attractions

Popular Keywords

Close Search

Stan Sayres Memorial Pits

  • Built 1957

The first week of August brings one of the most popular and famous water events to Seattle, the Seafair Hydroplane Races. The “thunderboats,” so-called because early racers installed booming engines from World War II-era fighter planes, use Stan Sayres Memorial Pits on Lake Washington as their staging area, as nearly a quarter million people watch from shore and boats on the lake. The pits were named after a pioneer hydroplane racer, who brought the sport’s leading trophy, the Gold Cup, to the area.

The pits sit at the head of Wetmore Slough near the site of temporary Duwamish Indian camps before the arrival of Anglo-European settlers. Pioneers recognized the area’s potential as a maritime hub, and an early scheme to build a canal from Lake Washington to Puget Sound included Wetmore Slough. (The canal was later built to the north.) The immediate area went through several transformations, although by the early 1960s, it had deteriorated into a garbage dump. After establishing the pits in 1957, the city redeveloped the dump into a public park. Visitors are allowed to walk the pit area, though during the days leading up to the race and race day itself, special passes are required.

  • Connect

  • Phone
  • 206-684-4075
  • Visit

  • Support

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Similar Listings

Models of Historic Puget Sound Ships

Models of Historic Puget Sound Ships

Nearly all of the actual vessels that plied the waters of Puget Sound are gone, but the Discovery Modelers Education Center of Seattle has recreated them with detailed scale models available to the public. Located at South Lake Union Park’s Naval Reserve Building in Seattle, the largest is a one-inch to one-foot scale replica of […]

More Info
Marrowstone Point Lighthouse

Marrowstone Point Lighthouse

Named by Capt. George Vancouver in his exploration of Puget Sound in1792, Marrowstone Point is below high bluffs that face northeast toward Admiralty Inlet and Whidbey Island. First marked by a post lantern in 1888, a fog bell was added in 1896. In 1902, the light was placed atop a small concrete building. The fog […]

More Info

Northwest Coast Canoe Center

Before the arrival of Anglo-Europeans in the 19th century, Puget Sound’s native peoples navigated the waters in cedar canoes, harvesting salmon, clams, mussels, beaver, and sea mammals. Their culture and life was dependent on water for food, travel, gatherings, tribal celebrations, clothing and trade. United Indians of All Tribes Foundation will celebrate this heritage with […]

More Info
Skip to toolbar