Topics ranging from planning trips around tides and currents to maintaining a marine head are on the agenda for the fourth annual South Sound Women’s Boating Seminar next Saturday in Olympia.
The May 18 event is aimed at women sailors and power boaters of all levels and will be held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Olympia Yacht Club. Experienced women boaters will share their experience during seminars on topics including:
- Your Boat’s DC System: All Charged up with Places to Go – Alison Mazon
- Sound Like a Pro on Your Radio – Lynne Reister
- Wind, Waves and Weather – Judy Grable
- 12-Volt Circuits Made Simple – Alison Mazon
- Going with the Flow: Planning Your Trip Around Tides and Currents – Capt. Ace Spragg
- Paper or Vector? Turn Your Laptop into a Fully Functional Chart Plotter – Capt. Mary Campbell
New this year is “Table Topics,” an open-forum discussion during lunch. Different topics will be featured at various tables and led by women with experience in singlehanded boating, cruising with pets, living aboard and other areas of interest.
Also new this year is the “Hands-on Fair,” with stations presenting in-depth demonstrations of various skills. Attendees can visit each station or repeat stations at their own pace. The demonstrations will focus on:
- What’s Knot to Know? – Jeanne Rynne
- Keep on Pumpin’: Replacing a Water Impeller – Micki McNaughton
- Shaft Seals: Up Tight and Out of Sight – Lynne Reister
- Keeping A Head: Marine Head Maintenance – Capt. Mary Fitzgerald
Boating gear, one-on-one tutoring on your own boat, works by local artists and more are among items that will be raffled at this year’s event. Proceeds from the raffle will fund scholarships for the “Girls at the Helm” program hosted by Sound Experience, the organization that owns and runs the century-old schooner Adventuress.
The day will wrap up with a barbecue on the clubhouse deck overlooking Budd Inlet.
Registration is $35 and includes lunch, dinner and a chance to win door prizes. Registration and additional information are available here.