Lats & Atts magazine shuts down

Latitudes & Attitudes magazine shut down Wednesday, according to its former owner.

The popular Latitudes & Attitudes magazine has closed its doors, according to former owner Bob Bitchin.

Bitchin, who founded the popular magazine in 1996, sold it in January to Sextant Publishing. On Thursday, he sent an email out to readers and friends, advising that the magazine’s offices had been abruptly shut down the previous day.

“As many of you know, we sold Latitudes & Attitudes last January, and as part of the sales agreement, we were to work as consultants,” he wrote. “Recently we discovered things were not as they should be. Yesterday morning the offices were locked with the following sign on the door: ‘Offices Closed Until Further Notice.’

“Jody & I put our lives into the magazine, tv show, events and lifestyle for over 15 years.  It is with very heavy hearts that we have to make this announcement.”

Bitchin said he and wife Jody plan to “rise from the ashes,” and said on his online forum that the pair are planning a new endeavor and will reveal more about it “as soon as we can get through the legal bullshit.”

Reached Thursday, Bitchin declined to comment further, citing legal reasons.

The Latitudes & Attitudes website has been taken down. Its homepage says the site is being redesigned and asks visitors to fill out a form to get updates on when it will be operational again. Sextant Publishing’s website is also offline and is redirected to a placeholder page for a website hosting company.

In January, Richmond, Calif.-based Sextant Publishing announced its acquisition of Latitudes & Attitudes Seafaring International, whose operations included television and radio ventures, exotic boat charters, boat show operations, and Living Aboard magazine.

At the time, Sextant Publishing President and CEO DJ Doran announced ambitious plans for the company, including updating the magazine, launching tablet and e-reader applications, expanding the television operation and developing new lines of products for the store.

“Our goal is to preserve the style and feel of the magazine and its peripheral operations while redeveloping its core businesses to better serve our loyal fans and introduce the magazine to a new generation of readers,” he said in a statement.

Bitchin remained publisher of the magazine until the end of 2011, then took on an advisory role. But as early as the end of January, there were rumblings of discontent about the new ownership when the Lats & Atts crew gathered at the Seattle Boat Show.

Bitchin acknowledged Wednesday on his online forum that he and Jodi had been “living in a fool’s paradise” since selling the company. The editor of Latitudes & Attitudes arrived at work Wednesday to find the doors closed and the locks changed, Bitchin said.

“At this time we do not know what will happen, but the ‘family’ (all of whom had been laid off over the past few months) are all in communication and we will update things as we can here on the bulletin board,” he wrote.

Doran could not immediately be reached for comment.

46 Responses to Lats & Atts magazine shuts down

1. Lonnie Parsons February 22, 2014 at 9:10 am #

Good luck Bob on your next venture. As a Colorado sailor it was a treat to get the issues and see far off places and great boat reviews. If you can’t restart the magazine, please continue the group charters. Smooth sailing to you and Capt. Woody!

2. jeff August 27, 2013 at 4:43 pm #

Seriously bumed out I read a lot of sailing mags and lats & atts is one of my favorites don’t spend much time on tera ferma when I do tend to load up on lit noticed I haven’t been able to find mag now I know why. Thanks for the past 40+ bitchen awesome ill miss ya :,-(

3. Mark Leslie May 25, 2013 at 7:37 am #

P.S. Turtles Turd on sextant publications.

4. Mark Leslie May 25, 2013 at 7:24 am #

I shall dearly miss my fav mag, and the online videos. I’m poor and can’t sail for real,bur I dream about sailing, and learned how (theoreticaly) to sail from your magazines and videos…THX, BB. I’ll be looking for any new endeavors from you as I like your blue-coller..ish style far & above the RR feeling mags..and you offered more variety. Again, THANK YOU! for giving color & flavor to my dreams..I’m sure I would like you & Woody, and the rest of the “Water Gypsy’s” that I feel like I know after so long. There is one little thing I would do different than you, I would pay my damn bill to every brother /sister & fan who in good faith gave me (L&A)(BB) money and received a sailors yarn instead. It’s would be my responsibility to my friends…even if I had to sell my baby (you no what I mean)., otherwise I’ll buy one mag at a time, no subs….asuming your not in my boat $. I wish you well brother. Mark Leslie Vancouver, WA

5. Avatar of Sean Munger
    Sean Munger February 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

Thanks LATS & ATTS, I’ve enjoyed your magazine for years.
    SV Beulah Mae

6. Capt. Jay February 5, 2013 at 2:23 pm #

I know my site is not lats-n-atts but hopefully it will help pass the time till there new project comes out. I my self am a live aboard sailor for the last 7 years in Florida. And will miss the mag!

7. me again December 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm #

so who’s going to repay me for my 3 year subscription? Yup just like I thought no one. I looked forward to reading L&A every month and I’ll miss it. well at least I got a hat and burgee .

• Doc December 31, 2012 at 7:49 pm #

Me too, just paid three years, more than that will miss the mag!

8. Daytrader December 22, 2012 at 9:42 am #

Well that’s 15 years of hard work shot up a wild hogs rump. Hope it was worth it!

9. Isaac A, December 17, 2012 at 5:56 am #

I’m sure no one plan it to happen, maybe its from
    Mistakes or trusting the wrong people or both,but we all make mistakes in life some very costly some are minor, and for who ever lost few $$$ on subscription it wont send u broke and I’m sure it will not be the last and its not the first $$ you lost,it was not the plan to get a few $$ from you guys…they have much bigger problems,I wish them all the luck…

10. terry blaire December 6, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

Surprise, Surprise! What is up with some people? Any way, it explains to me why I have saved every issue for the last 12 years, except for the ones my son took to Nevada from his visits with me. I became a full time liveaboard 3 years ago so the mags are in storage but their all mine. Bob and Jody hang in there. Good things happen to good people and you people are at the helm! You have my support in your next ventures.

11. Lowell D. "Kip" Leonard October 19, 2012 at 8:27 am #

Bob and Jody You are the reason I own a sailboat, and Lats & Ats was my preferred reading. My planning guide, my Laughter, my sailing knowledge, where to go to visual places for fun. A long time receiver of both Magazines CW and Lats & Ats.
    What ever you do Bob keep me posted. I will buy.
    How about Fatty Goodlander,and his beautiful bride from CW. His articles were my first to read, what an artist. I could go on for days, but to shorten my reply down.
    Bring back Lats & Ats or something similar let me know, and I will be your first member.
    A sailor from Ft Myers, Fl

12. Sabre Massey October 16, 2012 at 10:58 am #

It’s is such a shame not to have the Latts and Atts magazine anymore. I looked forward to reading it every month. Some good friends of mine actually had their picture in the “Underway” section-lots of fun. For those of you who didn’t care for the magazine, fine, but you don’t have to rank on it and Bob and Jody. You obvioulsy don’t have a clue.

13. Mary Read October 10, 2012 at 6:58 am #

As a avid reader and subscriber since the first issue, it is sad to see that L & A has gone the way of so many things these days. It was so important to have that respite from the reality of our pre get away and go cruising lives. We will miss you.

14. Robert September 17, 2012 at 9:19 am #

I was wondering why I couldn’t extend my subscription.

Kim, it’s a real shame you are so bitter and narrow minded.

Bob and Jody, fair winds and clear waters my friends. It has been a joy and an honor to have known you through your stories and pictures. You two made a difference.

• Gary October 2, 2012 at 6:05 am #

Your Lucky. I had just extended my subscription for three years.

15. Debbie September 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Lats & Ats was a great magazine. It had great stories that were exciting to read. It is nice to read about others adventures while sailing. Bob and Jody are wonderful people and very down to earth. Its a shame that there are people in the world who just want to take what other people have and rag it to death. I can’t wait till Bob and Jody start the next adventure, we will be waiting on our sailboat for the new seas to began.

Get a life Kim……

16. Mike Hendrickson September 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

I will miss Lats and Atts. I went to the first get together for the new Cruising Outpost magazine and paid my $250 to help with the start up of the new magazine. If something happens and it doesn’t get off the ground, I’ll still have faith in Bob and Jody. There was always a lot of good wisdom in Bob’s editorial comments. I live on a small sail boat in Santa Cruz and I am still tied to the dock. I know some day I will cut them and go because of Lats and Atts. It is the only sailing magazine that is and was realistic about sailing, proving you don’t have to be rich to get out there. I look forward to a share the sail with Captain Woody and the gang. It will happen. Mike Hendrickson Santa Cruz Ca

17. Ryan McMinn September 6, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Bob, is a down to earth guy, I’ve met him a few times at the shows. The magazine was great, I looked forward to each issue, its very sad to see this shity situation go down like this, but I will support Bob and the rest of the crew in whatever venture they start next.

-Ryan

18. Lynn Smith September 5, 2012 at 7:33 am #

So all the people who paid for subscriptions for 3yrs are screwed. Sorry to my husband I gave you a shitty birthday gift.

19. Kent Cronkhite August 27, 2012 at 10:16 am #

KIM,
    You are an arrogant jerk. Go play with yourself nobody else wants too.

20. Donald S. Patten August 25, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Thanks to the folks who put out an informative, entertaining magazine that had more interesting material than most boating mags. I loved the beautiful women also. Best of luck to Bob and all his crew.

21. Hippie Saylor August 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm #

gee Kim, for someone who didn’t care for the magazine you sure are overly satisfied with its demise. Somewhere, I hear a duck quacking.

22. Tom Griffin August 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Just renewed for three years…GONE??? Oh, and shut up Kim..

23. Suzanne August 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I sent in money for the magazine and never got a refund or any notufaction on the shut down. Who should I be contacting?

24. Bill W July 31, 2012 at 11:33 am #

Sorry to see Lats & Atts shutdown, just renewed the subscription in April and was wondering why I had not received the July and August issues. I will miss this mag. New management/ownership does not always translate to better management. I hope the mag returns soon.

25. Jeff July 20, 2012 at 9:43 am #

I think KIM is so mad because she is a moo cow…..

26. George Balfour July 19, 2012 at 8:55 am #

so what happens to those with subscriptions? My wife was given a subscription for her birthday back in April, and we never saw a single magazine.

27. Jeremy Stern July 1, 2012 at 3:45 am #

Bitchen bombed out on his Shannon and left Shannon Company with nothing but dust. He is a fool hearted soul that lived the pretend life and must pay the pipers going into retirement. Go bankrupt fool and join your other cruising low lives while people like me who can afford to sail do what we do best – sail!

• Skip October 27, 2012 at 8:03 am #

Wow!

28. kim June 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Oh jeez I’m going to have to take back some of my harshness, though….the typical bad cover featured above shows not only articles by credible experts, but more importantly one by my friend Bill Pinkney. So they do have good people contributing. They just need to seriously clean up the design and regular columns.

29. Jack Tar June 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

I could not agree less with Kim. Lats and Atts has been a great vehicle for cruisers by cruisers. Taking on Live Aboard magazine along the way. I suspect that the magazines closing may have been planed from the begining in an attempt by the “new owners” to monopalize the boating magazine industry. I also beleive that this souless group of buisnessmen have grievously misjudged the sailing community across the United States and around the World. This act alone will bring them failure. Like a Phoenix Bob, Jody and staff shall arize anew from the ashes.

• Wolfman June 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

when the economy takes a dive almost everything else follows especially high matainence lifestyles which $$$ cruising is but Bob is a great entrepreneur and always has been one of my mentors as far back as the late 1960s FTW

30. Gary peterson June 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

By the way seafaring.com website is back up and running along with the new seafaring Facebook page. Bob and Jody will make it through this “Ordeal” stronger then ever with help and support from all their friends.

31. Gary peterson June 22, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Bob and Jody along the long time employees of lats and atts took a hard hit as a group of swindlers did a hostile takeover for the better of their good. Not only that, but the Magazine subscribers, Lats and Atts cruising club members and many Advertisers who were billed and paid for ads in the mag lost funds also. Being an subscriber and frequenter of the L&A site I feel heavy hearted for all of the above for this hard hit.
    Lats and Atts has been a long time sponsor of the PNW Cruisers Party and have contributed a lot to support PNW sailors and cruisers, power or sail and gave us many hopes and dreams not to mention bringing a lot of us together through this magazine.
    We may have lost the Lats and Atts support for this years August 10-12th PNW Cruisers Party located at the new Everett Marinas 12th Street Basin (only 48 more days)but we’ve been quickly receiving local support to make this the usual not to miss party. Bob and Jody will also be there to let everyone know which direction they’re headed and help out in whatever way they can.
    Oh and a side note to Kim; we live in a great country that has wonderful things to offer and one of those things would be your freedom of choice. If you don’t like the style of the magazine then don’t dis it, just don’t buy it.

• kim June 26, 2012 at 11:40 am #

This great country offers freedom of speech, “dissing” and otherwise. Try not to take it personally.

32. more joy everywhere June 21, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Harsh, Kim. This is about misfortune and jobs lost and dreams dashed. What you’ve done here is like visiting a gravely ill person in the ICU and yelling “I’m glad he’s dead!” in the hospital hallway. Why do you wanna do that?

• kim June 26, 2012 at 11:48 am #

You’re being a little dramatic, don’t you think? They sold it. Life offers no guarantees but they could have maintained control by not selling it.

33. kim June 21, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Thank You, Sextant, for this great public service. The world has been dumbed down enough and this is a small step in the other directon. I won’t miss the crappy quality of this magazine and I hope someone else can do a much better job.

• thom permenter June 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Wow, Kim,
      sorry you have been forced to ingest this pitiful drivel.
      Oh, wait, you weren’t forced?

nuff said.

• kim June 26, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Only forced to see the awful cover shots at boat stores along the west coast. Not forced to read it of course, but the few times I did made me thank God that Practical Sailor, Good Old Boat, and Three Sheets exist, if only to give the cruiser/liveaboard magazine biz some credibility!

• thom permenter June 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

There is a very old saying that goes something like, “To each their own.”
          There are many things I prefer over Lats and Ats but that doesn’t mean I revel in its demise.
          Perhaps if they would have marketed it in a brown paper wrapper?

• kim June 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

Yes, that would have been an improvement. I know “revelling in its demise” is harsh, but thank you for acknowledging my freedom to do this. For me, this is like seeing a bad reality show taken off the air; sure it sucks for the people passionate about it, but intelligent adults should demand more substance, quality and creativity from publishers. Or from producers of anything they buy, for that matter.

• Everett July 10, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Kim,
          There are many people who are so different than you! (Thank God!)Lats & At’s was the BEST Magazine published for cruisers and people who love sailing,freedom and life! Bob has always put out Top Quality productions, great writers, excellent photo’s, great story’s as well as bringing out the Best in products.
          Hope your Life improves!
          The rest of us are Great!
          Everett

• Cranston Snord July 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

I agree! So many people posting here just didn’t “get” what the magazine was all about. It was a great mag to read, the articles entertained and the photos made me laugh! It sucks Bob got screwed over selling his magazine to a bunch of assholes that ripped him off!

• Carole August 5, 2012 at 8:15 pm #

Wow Kim…do you work for Sextant by any chance ?